There are tons of women that look into a closet full of clothes and say they have nothing to wear. People think we are crazy, but sometimes, conceptually, it’s true. We cannot conceive in our minds what to put on, because most of our closets are packed with trendy, outdated, or bland pieces. The staples, that can usually pull together any outfit, are glaringly missing. I’m guilty of this myself, at times; I always go into the store with the intention to by a great piece that goes with everything, but leave with a show-stopping piece that just goes with itself. And what is funny is that I may be the most conservative shopper of all my friends.
A few years ago, I stumbled upon an article that Glamour magazine had put together of a list of all the pieces a woman should have in her closet. As I scanned the list of about 50 pieces, I think I had eight. I was in my twenties, so I deserved a pass. However, now, in my thirties, I’ve scoured my apartment trying to find the list that could possibly be the savior to my chronic fashion insanity. I can’t dress like my 26-year-old sister, with seasonal, trendy pieces; but I also can’t dress like my mom. Still, no matter what the age, I do think that there are some staple pieces that every woman should have in her closet. Those are the pieces you build around. Those pieces never fail, and they go with whatever trendy accessory or clothing piece is currently out. I’ve compiled a list of what I think is necessary in my closet for balance. Here are just few. I hope you find them helpful.
**The key to all these pieces is the fit. You have to make sure everything fits well and is tailored to showcase your body in the best light. It can’t be too tight or too baggy.
1. Classic White Button Down Shirt -I wear this item for job interviews or casual business meetings. I would purchase at Club Monaco, J.Crew, or Banana Republic.
2. The Black Pump- this item can be thrown on with literally anything. Christian Louboutin is my preferred choice but you can find a great, classic pump with a lot great, less costly designers, like Dolce Vita. Just make sure it is of great quality and won’t have creases by the toe after a few wears.
3. The Blazer- this piece makes everything just a little more sophisticated. It can be worn with jeans, skirts, or thrown over dresses. Boyfriend blazers have made a big comeback, but I prefer the tailored blazer, which never goes out of style. J.Crew, Smythe, Elizabeth & James, and Theory all have great fitting blazers.
4. The black skirt- the pencil skirt is always a bona fide classic. However, I believe you can venture out a bit on this item and wear a fuller, below the knee, black skirt and still achieve the same chic look. Club Monaco, Theory, and BCBG all carry great skirts.
5. The Leather jacket- everyone needs a nicely fitted leather jacket. The leather has to look of great quality though. There are great finds out there that can look expensive but be inexpensive. I suggest black, or taupe, as a neutral pick to go with almost anything you wear. BB Dakota just came out with a well-priced leather jacket, but Vince usually wins my heart in this area.
It is always cool to be fun and add trendy pieces to your closet, but it serves no purpose to your pocket when those fashions go out of style and you don’t have these pieces as your forever “go-to” items. More to come…